Saturday, September 24, 2011

Some Things I've Learned From Falling Down the Stairs


About six months ago I got up in the night to visit the bathroom. I really didn't want to wake up so I didn't turn on a light. This was common for me. I often wander the house at night when I can't sleep. It was a big mistake. I took a wrong turn and ended up at the bottom of the stairs with a broken neck, broken arm at the shoulder, and a broken rib. It could have been worse, I can still walk.

Healing from such a horrific fall has taught me much. The first thing I learned is that we are not in charge of everything that happens to us in our life. I also learned that people around me love me and care about my healing process and want to lend a helping hand when they can. Many will put their life on delay to be there to help. Doctors are kind, intelligent, and understanding. There are many kinds of therapists and you have to find the ones that are right for you. You can be in charge of your healing choices. Diet is very important. Exercise is very important. Don't push till you hurt because you may pay for longer than you want to. Learn to relax when the movement requires it. Don't be impatient because some hurts can take years to heal. If there is pain with movement, the body's energy may be stuck and need to be connected. If it hurts on the right, it may be caused by something out of whack on the left. Healing happens in layers.

We are not in charge. I really learned this many years when my son was almost killed by a drunk driver. I have been relearning it ever since. It is a spiritual thing for me and I know without a doubt that I have been and am being helped by powers far greater than my own. I am glad to know that. It gives me peace. It helps my healing.

People are willing to help. I have many people in my life who are great givers but will never take help. I had a discussion about this fact not too long before my accident with a good friend. I maintain that we need to learn to give as well as receive. Both actions bless us as well as others. Nevertheless, when I fell it was hard to express my needs. Many people called to find out if they could come and clean my house. The healing process is hard emotionally as well as physically. I asked for companionship while walking. Friends came once or twice a day for months to walk with me. I don't know if they will ever know how much emotional good they did while walking a mile with me. Meals were shared with us. My husband and son got to the point they wanted to collect the recipes because the meals were so good. You can't ever pay it back, you have to pay it forward.

While in the hospital the food I was receiving didn't work for me. I had experienced this situation before but this time I complained. I complained to everyone who walked in the door. One morning the nurse on duty was a man. He pointed his finger at me and said, "We are not going to have this conversation. We can't solve it and so we aren't going to talk about it." I was taken back and didn't discuss it with him further, but by the end of the day he had talked to those in charge and got some action. I learned that the meals were specified by my doctor so I had to take it up with him. That was hard because he hadn't come around because he had a cold. I finally got his OK for a diet change and my body started to function better. The nutrition people were very kind and willing to go the extra mile to help me.

I was admitted to rehab. That was a good decision and I learned enough to be safe at home. One therapist taught me to relax as he moved my arm in ways I couldn't. It actually felt good. I would come back to this thought later when my experience with a therapist hurt me so bad it took a week to recover from the swelling. I do not believe in the saying: "No pain, no gain." I realize there may be times when pushing just a little harder will build the muscles stronger, but when you are trying to heal from surgery and a broken body you have to be careful to not cause that process to break down. If you hurt, say something. Not everyone has the same training nor attitude about healing. Find therapists that work for you. You don't have to mold yourself into their attitude.

Nights were very hard for me. I don't think I got much sleep that first month of healing. Jumpy legs were a very big night enemy. I knew I needed to increase my intake of calcium so I really loaded it on. The night I stretched and got a Charlie horse I knew I wasn't getting enough of something. I tried magnesium, and other minerals but that didn't take away the restlessness. One day I had a vitamin D discussion with my brother. I decided to increase my vitamin D intake and that did work well. The pain medicine didn't work for me. I realize that when you hurt the healing doesn't progress as fast, but that medicine caused me constipation and I always felt like I was floating when I took it. There are other ways of controlling pain. Omega 3 is a good anti-inflammatory. If you take large doses the body uses it that way. Another thing that works for me is Enzymes. Taken on an empty stomach they work as anti-inflammatory agents. Enzymes with Serrapeptase work especially well and the ones that are a combination with that ingredient work even better. Getting enough good quality protein is essential when healing the body. If you scrimp the healing will take longer.

I have a whole body vibration machine run by an electromagnet, that helps me strengthen my muscles and move the lymph. It helps in so many ways, but I couldn't use it for more than 2 months because of the broken and healing bones. I was so impatient that some nights I would sneak in there and just vibrate my jumpy legs. That helped so much. when the day came I could finally stand on the platform and vibrate my whole body I rejoiced. That machine improves sleep, builds muscles, and gives me such an energy lift. Some days I just do a mild exercise and some days I have it give me a huge bounce. I do that when my sore aching body can take a little more. The vibration machine is easier on my joints than walking around the block. A couple of times I have been swimming. I wish I was more independent and that would be something I'd do more often. It is a wonderful exercise and soothes the soreness as I move. I can't really swim regularly because of my injured arm, but I am getting better at the strokes as I work at it.

I have a therapist who does Upledger Cranial Sacral and Zero Balancing. She has worked on my sore neck and body 1 to 3 times a week since I fell down the stairs. Through this modality of balancing my meridians and working with the body's energy, I have been comfortable with my healing most of the time. I wear a compression sleeve on my arm and hand to help keep down the swelling which is still a problem even 6 months later. I soak in the hot tub whenever I get a chance. The first time I stepped into the tub with my left foot I discovered that I could not feel hot or cold with that foot or leg. I use that as a sign of my nerve recovery as the feeling of hot and cold have started to come back. I have been extremely sensitive to being bumped on that side of my body, but am starting to be able to walk outside barefoot. I count that as a sign of healing and rejoice. Nerves are very slow healers, but they can heal.

At first after my accident I was so covered with bruises that I couldn't even feel the hurt of the breaks and damaged nerves. As those bruises healed I discovered other hurts. I am to the point now that my muscles and joints that have been damaged are telling me about it. The excess lymph is still draining out of my head and neck. Some days I can turn my head all the way over to the side quickly. Some days it is like wringing out a sponge to make it move. It will move if I am patient and take the time to do it slowly. What I am learning is that as I move the lymph out of that area, it moves easily. Lymph moves better if I drink enough and get enough exercise and high quality protein. The presence of excess lymph indicates to me that there is still a lot of healing going on and I need to let it.

The more I move the less I hurt as long as I don't push my body in directions that it can't go. Attitude is important in making the healing process work. When you hurt it is hard to make the effort to move. Relax, smile, move, and enjoy every part of life that you can while you are healing. Do not listen to the guy who tells you if you don't move today you won't be able to tomorrow. Honor your body's need for rest and allow it to have the time to do it. Eighty percent of your body's energy is required for healing. Plan your healing life that way and it will go more quickly. Remember, you are not in charge. Seek Divine Guidance in the healing process and accept the help that you need. Your body has its own agenda and will heal the parts it wants to first. That may not be your agenda, but accept it and be glad for any healing.

While I would not recommend anyone fall down the stairs as a way to learn the things I have learned, I am glad to have learned not only the things about healing, but compassion for others who have struggles and adversities in their lives. I am grateful for the love that has poured into my life from others who care. I am pleased to know that there are things I can still do to help carry the load of life needs for those who care about me and for those who have needs.

Description: http://img1.blogblog.com/img/icon18_email.gifDescription: http://img2.blogblog.com/img/icon18_edit_allbkg.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment